Since joining Writer Recharge last Wednesday, I’ve been very productive! Here are my stats for the first (partial) week:
Week 1 (Wed – Sun) total: 3,408 words (made my goal!)
Total for Writer Recharge: 3,408 words
Work-in-progress total: 5,216
Even though I wrote the above words (which, full disclosure, included snippets taken from a previous version of this WIP), I ended up cutting one of the new scenes right away so only 2,006 of those words are staying. I also spent some time outlining using Dan Well’s Seven-Point Plot System. If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend!
So far, this challenge has really motivated me. With other participants busy at work on their projects, plus the fact that I’m updating my blog with my stats on a weekly basis, I feel more accountable. I was also inspired this week by reading the beginning of a friend’s WIP, and by meeting up with my CT writer friends yesterday for a write-in. Plus, I love this WIP much more than what I was working on last year, which makes all the difference.
I have to write 10K more words to reach my goal this month, and I feel pretty confident that I’ll make it. This week, I want to spend a little more time outlining individual scenes through Scrivener’s index card tool, now that I have a better sense of where the story is going. I’d also like to write at least 3,500 words.
By the way, I’m hosting a word sprint on Twitter for the YA Buccaneers this week (@YABuccaneers). Details will be on the YAB blog tomorrow, but the sprint will be this Wednesday at 8:00 PM ET. You can follow along using the hashtag #YABWordSprint. Hope you’ll join in!
Happy writing, all!
For more Writer Recharge updates, check out the list on Sara’s blog.